Human service organisations wanting to implement evidence based practice will require process to be in place such as:
Within the context of these processes some of the specific suggestions to consider are:
1. Summarise the connections between "understanding society and social issues experienced by people" and "the service providers programs".
For example: The role of social capital in society in mediating heath and education outcomes.
2. Describe the service model being used
For example: describe the service process in terms of the outcomes to be achieved at each point in the service process and the strategies or steps used to achieve these outcomes at each point in the service process.
3. Describe the theoretical framework that underpins or is used in the service model
For example: In an early intervention program "Attachment theory" may underpin the thinking about the program? What is the theory? What is the evidence for the theory?
Evidence for appropriate processes for working with complex adaptive systems process based (where they are used)
Many processes in human services are best described as complex adaptive systems, for example interventions with families, community development and organisational change.
4. Summarise the state of knowledge in relation to the process
For example: Describe the principles and processes for community development
5. Identify priority research/evidence questions in relation to the process
For example: What is the long term impact of a particular community development process?
Evidence from practice
6. Collect and analyse relevant data that can be used on reflecting on practice and developing further knowledge about practice
For example: gathering and analysing client monitoring data for family interventions.
Evidence for specific interventions (where they are used)
7. Summarise the state of knowledge in relation to the theory or program
For example: Attachment theory (underpinning an early intervention program) - what is known and has broad consensus? What is not known or is contentious (eg cross cultural measurement of attachment)?
8. Summarise the state of knowledge in relation to an intervention
For example: A volunteer home visiting program as a program intervention.
Evidence for reflective practice
Processes used to reflect on practice and validate
10. Identify priority research/evidence questions in relation to the theory or intervention
For example: A research project in Australia identifying the impacts of volunteer home visiting.
Human service organisations research frameworks
Within the context of the evidence
gathered from points 1) to 10)
above human service organisations
will develop a research program
that will facilitate it achieving its overall goals.